No tricks, only treats! Halloween themed Madeleine recipe!
A really simple bake for Halloween: you can bake these from scratch using my recipe, or you can cheat and grab a pack of ready made madeleines from the supermarket and decorate them like mine!
They're the perfect alternative to cupcakes for a Halloween grazing board, or to gift at parties. Be sure to bake them on the day you're serving them as they're not a cake that lasts so well!
This recipe will be featured in October's Cat Food Chronicle, a mini magazine that's included in every subscription box, with recipes and articles as well as info about what is inside the box.
Enjoy! Cat Food x
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract - or try lemon or orange zest if you like.
Extra flour and butter for preparing your Madeleine tin.
300g chocolate of your choice or candy melts.
Chocolate colouring - I use colour mill, but use this sparingly as it can affect the taste of the cakes.
Sprinkles and spooky decorations - Use CATFOODCAKES to get a discount at Shire Bakery!
- Melt the butter and leave to cool.
- While the butter is cooling, whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and pale, then carefully add the flour and baking powder, folding in a little at time.
- Mix a large spoonful of the batter into the melted butter and then fold the mixture into the rest of the batter. Cover in cling film, and chill for a few hours (or up to 2 days) before baking.
- An hour before baking, grease and flour your Madeleine tin, tapping any excess away. Chill the tray in the freezer.
- Spoon the batter into the Madeleine tin, and bake at 200 celsius for 8-10 minutes. Turn them out onto a wire rack immediately to cool.
- Decorate with melted chocolate and sprinkles. I use white chocolate coloured with lime green color mill and dark chocolate to make frankensteins, orange color mill with white chocolate for the pumpkins, white chocolate for mummies - sprinkles are all from Shire Bakery!